Monday, August 1, 2011

Breastfeeding- It really isn't all that.

This is going to probably be a pretty controversial subject, just a warning.

Recently Babble had a photo contest of babies with their lovies. Of course, one mother had to do a nursing photo, which, won. Not surprising. I'm going to ask: Is it really necessary to show off nursing photos?? I have them myself and find them beautiful. However, I keep them to myself and refuse to put them on social networking sites. I feel that it's almost a "look at me" thing. We all know facebook has banned breastfeeding phots and will delete them. Do women who post them really think we all want to see them? Is it a way of saying "I'm breastfeeding so I'm above following rules"?? What is it exactly that makes you think everyone wants to see your boobs? If I even see a teen girl I know posting pictures in a bikini top, I say something. Some things are just not appropriate. I even judge women who have their asses hanging out of their shorts!

This leads me to another subject. There is a link floating around for a Natural News article about a couple out of Pasadena, CA. There is a history of abuse, parents who do home circumcisions, and are beligerant with any government officials. What does this family have to do with breastfeeding?? Well, the mother was nursing the youngest two children. Attachment parenting parents have taken on this cause because the government must have it out for these parents over their parenting practices. Lactivists are angry because OMG, these kids aren't getting breastmilk. When one blogger, Guggie Daly, stood up and asked people to look at the whole picture, she was attacked to the point that she took down her stuff. At first, I thought it was a publicity stunt, but I get that she felt she had no other choice and support that. I mean, how dare she say anything against what the majority of lactivists/APers say/think. Breastmilk or not, AP or not, some children are NOT better off with their parents. What is better? Loving parents who give formula or abusive parents that give breastmilk?? And, contrary to people's opinions, a child isn't entitled to breastmilk and they really don't need it.

7 comments:

Christina said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Non-Monogamist said...

I've nursed all of mine. First few also had formula. The third, I weaned early because I hadn't had my body to myself in almost 5 years. My 4th and 5th children would not take bottles. My 7th one here, I pumped for the first two months, and then she refused bottles. I tried incredibly hard to get her to take formula. I bought every bottle and formula available to no avail. Sometimes when she comes at me, It's like "Can I give you something else, a sippy or some apple?". Sometimes I just need my body to myself. I've had three breaks from pregnancy and/or nursing since september 1997.

Mrs. P. said...

Dude! That crazy story about the nutters who lost their kids made me froth at the mouth. For so many reasons.
As for the breastfeeding thing, a-freakin'-men. Both my boys were formula fed and now my daughter is breastfed. She'll be 9 months old this week, and I've so had it with nursing. I want to wean shortly after her 1st birthday (honestly, if she'd take a bottle or cup, I'd have already done it) but I'm getting such flack for not going until her wedding day. Sheesh.

Tracey said...

32 weeks pregnant and I get asked the breastfeeding question all the time. When I say that I most likely am going to an amino acid based formula immediately because my daughter projectile vomited until we put her on it I get told about the elimination diet. Yeah, thanks. Daughter K reacted to everything but meat and pears and could tolerate no carbs at all so I'll just eat air and hope that we both survive so that I can breastfeed. Then I say that I had PPD that ended the day after my milk dried up and I am told they have pills for that. So I should take a pill that makes me feel disconnected and exhausted just so that I can breastfeed!? That's not to mention the fact that I am a HH NOT engorged with milk and that I had plugged ducts *daily* that were so painful I wish I didn't have breasts. I should go through all of this when formula is a reasonable alternative that leaves me sane; isn't that better for both baby and mother?

terri c said...

You all make wonderful sense, and I wish you didn't get flak for making your own decisions.

Re: the story--please tell me I didn't read the words "home circumcisions???"

The Non-Monogamist said...

Yes, I said HOME CIRCUMCISIONS!! Jeffrey circumsized their boys himself!! Crazy family!!

Mary Paul said...

I wish to show my gratitude for your kindness giving support to individuals who really want assistance with your idea. Your real dedication to getting the solution along ended up being unbelievably important and have really empowered men and women much like me to arrive at their targets. The warm and friendly useful information means a great deal to me and somewhat more to my office workers. Regards; from all of us.

Breast Feeding Information for the New Mother

Popular Posts